Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sunday's New York Times featured an article about an apartment at 84 E. 4th St... or rather, a guy who lived there and had a desperate search for a better place, because he was living in a noisy 7 ft x 9 ft "bedroom." I happened to live in that apartment for 10 weeks in the summer of 2000, and the article doesn't do that room justice. It is literally a walk-in closet that is used as a bedroom. The person living there has to walk through the master bedroom to enter it. It has enough space for a bed, and that's it (which is why most people use a loft bed, so that they can store stuff underneath). Back in my time there (which was the era of the roommate in the living room with a folding screen), the closet was occupied by a tiny Hispanic room. I figured small room, small girl, no problem. I have no idea how a full-sized man could even think about living there.
Also, nice plug to Liz Tormes, the lease-holder. Of my former roommates there, she's the one I've kept best in touch with. She's an excellent musician... buy her new CD!

Finally, this could be one of the strangest websites ever created. But it's good to know that both Paul Reubens and George Clooney think that a Centaur with a crossbow would defeat a Minotaur with a trident.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on Liz for getting the lease! And however bad it was in the closet room, the screened-off part of the living room was worse! Were you still living there when I came home and the dog had chewed all the hair off its ass on my bed, and all that was left was clumps of hair and bloody drool?

Anonymous said...

Explain "tiny Hispanic room."

Brian said...

Megs, yes I was there. I remember you being more than a little pissed off. In fact, didn't it happen twice?
FYI, Loretta is still alive, but very old and very blind.

Tommy, "tiny Hispanic room" = "tiny Hispanic girl." Same difference, right?

Anonymous said...

Actually, yes, it did happen twice. And I do remember that you were there, because in the face of my absolute fury, all you could do was laugh. And laugh. And laugh...

Come to think of it, you seem to find it hilarious every time I get pissed about anything...

Punk.

Brian said...

I do laugh whenever you get mad, but how could I laugh at a situation like that? I mean, the poor dog...