Monday, June 18, 2007

Wake Me Up With the Go-Go’s
Last night I dreamed that I was at a Go-Go’s concert. I was my current age, but the Go-Go’s were at their circa-1985 age. It was a small venue, and I was standing very close to the stage. During “Head Over Heels” (my favorite Go-Go’s song and #38 on my Top 100 Songs of the 80s), Belinda Carlisle invited me up on stage to play the bass solo. Now I can’t really play guitar (I can play a few songs, badly, such as Metallica’s “Unforgiven,” Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight,” and the Rolling Stones’s “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”), but I’ve never touched a bass guitar. Which turned out not to be an issue, because she gave me an acoustic one. I told Belinda that I didn’t know how to play it, and she said she’d teach me. Suddenly we’re sitting by ourselves on an empty stage in an empty auditorium (dreams are funny that way), and she’s showing me the fingering to play the solo. But I just can’t seem to get it right. Then I come to the realization that I can play the solo by using the six strings without any fingering (which I know not to be the case, even with my poor guitar skills). I show her I can do it, and she applauds giddily. Then my alarm went off and I woke up.
Weird, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bass solo!?! That's up there with the clarinet recital and the jazz flute.

Anonymous said...

Although, if a mid-1980s belinda carlisle asked me to do a bongo solo I'd would jump at the chance.

Anonymous said...

Freud said that dreams are wish-fulfillments, and that those wishes are the result of repressed or frustrated sexual desires.

I have a wish, too: to not know you have dreams like this.