Monday, January 29, 2007

Thoughts for the day:
- HSBC sucks. For weeks I've been getting solicitation calls from them (as many as 3 a day), which I've been avoiding by saying Brian's not home. Finally over the weekend I decided to bite the bullet and see what they wanted. Turns out that Brian Greene owes $88 on his HSBC credit card, and they want him to pay RIGHT NOW. I told them that I don't even have an HSBC account, and when they asked me to verify my birthday and last four digits of my Social Security, neither one they had on file was mine. I figured that the problem was over, but they've already called twice again today. I explained again that I already told them they have the wrong guy, and they promised to stop calling. But as I think about it, wouldn't anyone who owes money try to get out of it by saying the bank had the wrong guy? Maybe I should refer them to my String Theory doppelganger. He probably has enough money to just pay the $88 and get them to stop bothering him. Or maybe he's the guy they're looking for in the first place...
- Last night on "Out of the Box" on Q104.3, Jonathan Clarke gave one of the worst interviews I've heard in a long time. He was talking to Damon Albarn and Paul Simonon about their new group, who recorded the album The Good, The Bad, and The Queen. They have stated many times that the band doesn't have a name, even though people refer to them as the name of the album. Clarke must not have heard that, because he introduced them as from the band TGTBATQ. After they corrected him, he continued to make that mistake... in the next 10 minutes, he described the CD as the "self-titled album" and said he was here with members of "the new band, er project, TGTBATQ." Do your homework, and pay attention.
- Having the Colts favored over the Bears by 7 points in the SuperBowl seems like a heck of a lot. Chicago will match up well against them, and Peyton still has a history of choking in big games. If I was a betting man, I'd put a lot of money against Indy. But I'm too big a wuss to actually do that.
- Went to my first Edward 40-Hands party (where you get 40-ounce beers taped to your hands when you enter, and can't take them off until they're empty). Fun concept, although not as much when your hands are as hairy as mine. Thanks to M for taking such joy in getting as many hairy square-inches as possible covered. And for laughing so hard as I yelped in pain as you ripped the tape (and hair) off my hand.
- Why are retro arcade games so addictive? Especially when they're so easy? This was not a good site to discover when I don't have a full-time day job.

No comments: