Tuesday, March 21, 2006

This Is Where I Alienate All My Non-Sports-Loving Readers*
I've got my first (of two) fantasy baseball drafts tonight, and I've got a bit of a dilemma. I have the 8th pick out of 12, and by my calculations, there are 7 definite #1 draft picks: A-rod, Pujols, Vlad, Teixeira, Ortiz, Manny, and Santana. After that, you get a bunch of players (Tejada, Abreu, Crawford, Bay) who are excellent, but who I know I'll look back on with regret, thinking "I can't believe I took him in the first round!" I'm hoping that somebody above me screws up and allows one of my top-7 to fall to me... but here's also hoping that it's not Manny or Ortiz, as I don't want to be secretly rooting for the BoSox stars all season long.

* I apologize in advance to all these readers, as I will presumably be recapping the draft tomorrow... and then there's next week's draft to write about...

4 comments:

Becca said...

i was #8 in my draft a few weeks ago, and you're right, you "lose" all of the best players. i ended up w/michael young as my first pick. but on the bright side, when the draft comes back the other way, you'll have a higher pick than some others. really, i think it all evens out in the end (except for those damn lucky first 7 picks).

Anonymous said...

Odd. If you look at the stat package WE play with [I am in Brian's league], David Ortiz wouldn't make the top 20. And since he's a DH, I wouldn't even draft him in the first 7 rounds -- there's far too many other players who could bring more to that UTIL spot.

Brian said...

Tommy, which stat package are you looking at? Sorting last year's stats in our league, Ortiz was ranked #4 among hitters. True, it hurts only being able to use him in that utility spot, but he still puts up monster numbers.
The bright side to me not getting him is now I can continue to root against him and the hated BoSox...

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta click the button that says "Account for Position Depth." Then, Ortiz is shown for the #27 piece of shit he is.

Don't forget, in FB -- everyone's a possible DH.