Thursday, March 24, 2005

Yet another e-mail from my friend stationed in Iraq:


Hi all,

I'm currently en route to Qatar for a four-day R&R. Truth be told, it couldn't have come at a better time. Lately, myself and the rest of the sniper section have been frustrated by both administrative waffling and the ineptitude of those that plan our missions. In our view there are those that do and those that do from a distance. Without getting out and pounding ground with us, I think certain planning cells are losing sight of what is and what isn't effective soldiering. Sometimes it feels like their using darts and fortune tellers to determine where we go and what we do. ANYWAY...the end result is that you care less about what you're doing and are bothered more by the guys around you. Enter my current stroke of luck...

Each team is sending two of it's soldier to Quatar on four day rotations. It just so happens that Bryan (the other member of my team) and I were chosen to leave first. I'm currently at one of the major airbases in Iraq awaiting transportation to Qatar. It's pretty cool, not only can we wear civvies over there, but alcohol is back on our menus as well. Of course, we're limited to three drinks per evening, but I've heard of ways around that...

Alright, I leave you with a picture I took out on a mission I like to call "Scooby Doo's Mystery Clues" (ask me why when I get back). As you can see, the mornings and nights continue to be cold, but the days are heating up.

I'll write more as soon as I leave country.

Love,
K____
Posted by Hello

No comments: