Friday, March 25, 2005

Almost every week, Tommy posts a Friday 10 (1st ten songs randomly played on iPod) on his site and asks people to leave comments with theirs. This is the first week I did, and I'm adding comments to that list here:

1) "Drifting" - Pearl Jam: Off their Lost Dogs album. Very simple (just vocals, guitar, and harmonica), but very moving.

2) "Til I Die" - Beach Boys: Speaking of simple but moving, this has to be one of the most depressing songs ever written. And Brian Wilson did it all with just 67 words. Killer dissonant harmonies, too.

3) "Changes" - Zombies : Odd how these songs keep having noticeable transitions. Odyssey & Oracle is one of the most underrated songs of the 60s, with tremendous harmonies. This song is almost a capella, with only bongos accompanying the vocals and strings connecting the vocal sections.

4) "Astronaut" - Calamine: I discovered them when I rented the Sealab 2021 DVD... they did the theme song. This Brooklyn-based band sounds a lot like Juliana Hatfield. So far they've only put out a 6-song EP, but supposedly they're releasing an LP soon. Although it was supposed to come out this past fall. But I'll keep waiting.

5) "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" - Four Tops: I used to hate this song, for no reason whatsoever. Now I agree it's a classic.

6) "Flaming Star" - Elvis Presley: I ordered this Elvis collection a few years back. When it arrived, I was shocked to find that the jewel case is actually a cardboard holder shaped like this. It can't fit in my CD tower. It's the last time I'll order an Australian import.

7) "Something in the Way (Unplugged)" - Nirvana: Not much to say about this song...

8) "Money Changes Everything" - Cyndi Lauper: Tommy will probably kill me, because now if someone Googles this song, it might lead to his site. Sorry.

9) "I'm Lost Without You" - blink 182: The last track on possibly the last blink album. Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

10) "California Sun" - Ramones: Cover of the classic by The Rivieras, which I own on the Good Morning, Vietman soundtrack.

No comments: