Friday, February 25, 2005

TRL Moment of the Week (Missed Opportunity)
Man, did I blow it. Rachel Bilson was on the show on Wednesday, and during a commercial break we were prepping her on an interview question: “What band would you most like to have play on The O.C.?” Her answer was Kings of Leon. When I got home after work and flipped through the new issue of Time Out New York, I saw that Kings of Leon were playing at Webster Hall that very night. If only I had known that crucial piece of information four hours earlier, I’m sure it would’ve led to the following:
Segment Producer: So which band would you most like to have as a guest on The O.C.?
Rachel: Kings of Leon.
Segment Producer: That’s cool.
Me: Hey, did you know they’re playing at Webster Hall tonight?
Rachel: Really? That’s awesome. I’m gonna get my publicist to get me tickets. Wanna come with me?
Me: Sure.
We would go to the concert together, then head back to her hotel room and spend the night together. The next morning she would tearfully return to the set of The O.C., and I would go into the office and tell a few co-workers about what happened, but nobody would believe me. I’d swear it’s true and try to call Rachel, but it’d go straight to voicemail because she’s flying, and by the time she calls me back I’d be home. When she gets back to L.A. she’d immediately break things off with Adam Brody, leading to heavy tension on set. Rachel and I would try a long-distance relationship, but quickly discover that we need to be with each other all the time. I’d quit my job and move out to L.A. to be with her, since her contract prevents her from leaving the show and heading east. Once out there we’d live together happily, but I’d have a bitch of a time finding work, and all my frustration would boil over into our relationship, putting a huge strain on it. Eventually she would tell me that she needs her own space and break things off, although I’d tell people it was the other way around. I’d move back to New York and try to get my old job back, and they’d happily embrace me and even give me a raise. And things would eventually go back to normal, although I'd always hold a place in my heart for the greatest two weeks of my life.
But then again, this is all speculation...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But more likely...

Segment Producer: So which band would you most like to have as a guest on The O.C.?

Rachel: Kings of Leon.

Segment Producer: That’s cool.

You: Hey, did you know they’re playing at Webster Hall tonight?

Rachel: Really? Um... actually I don't know who they are. I just saw them mentioned in the Time Out I read in the green room and thought I might sound cool.

You: Oh.

Rachel: So put your penis back in your pants, perv.

Brian said...

Either way, it's a better story than what really happened.