Thursday, February 10, 2005

One of my best friends from college who enlisted in the Army about a year ago was recently deployed to Iraq. I got this e-mail from him this morning:

Hey all,
Just wanted to drop a quick line to let you all know that I'm doing fine. I arrived in Iraq about a week ago and have just begun to settle in. We won't have internet access for a while (this email is being written on a borrowed computer/account), but eventually, our unit will be connected. Life here is different, but strangely familiar. The living conditions are much like when we deployed to Lousiana in that we're constantly on alert. Everywhere you go, it's "full battle rattle" or you aren't allowed to leave your building. Yes, this means that even if you need to use the latrines, you'll be wearing body armor, kevlar, and dragging along your weapon. In my opinion, it's a bit much, but you get used to it. As to the climate, it's chilly here during the day, and absolutely freezing at night. So, seeing as how most of our mission take place at night, these bones get cold on a daily basis. However, I can't complain. Accomodations are good, the food is even better, and I couldn't ask for better friends within my unit. Except for a couple flares of temper, we all get along very well.
As to the actual missions themselves, they are, without a doubt, boring, boring, boring. Essentially, we choose spots that have previously been areas of insurgent activity and overwatch them for countless hours. If nobody shows up, which is usualy the case, we pack it up and try again at a different location the next day. The guys we're replacing said that Haj won't start picking it up until the weather warms up a bit, but until that time, we're stuck hoping that he'll come out to play. Not that it's all play. In fact, it's scary as hell waiting out there in the middle of some pitch-black field, knowing that somewhere out there somebody is planning how best to kill you. But, we have the advantage. What with our nightvision, thermals, and long-range rifle...if we see Haj first, he doesn't stand a chance. Still, random stuff like fluttering birds and scurring wildlife gets your heart beating.
I hope all of you are doing well. I know that some people have been left off this email list, but that's because much of my gear (including the notebook with email addresses) is still in transit. If you could, please let those people know that I'll be in touch ASAP.My love to you all and I'll talk to you soon.
Staying safe,
K____
ps for those in AZ, Iraq's terrain and veg isn't much different. If you've ever driven to Tuscon, take away the cactus and mountains and that's Iraq (plus or minus some details).

I know he wrote this e-mail to reassure people that he's doing well, but it had completely the opposite effect on me. I'm more terrified for him than ever. This shit is real. His confidence in his squad is both a relief and a cause for dread. The last thing I want is for them to get sloppy due to overconfidence. Yes, our army is better equipped and better trained. But that hasn't stopped hundreds of soldiers from dying at the hands of Iraqis.
K____, take care of yourself and get home safely.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Will do. Wish I could do a better job of keeping in touch with him. Although what would I say? "Hope you're keeping safe... yesterday I wrote fake celebrity personal ads." How lame!